MACAA’s Head Start program serves 213 children and families. Head Start is a federally funded comprehensive preschool program for children (ages three and four) from low-income families (100% of Federal poverty guidelines). Head Start operates in all parts of the MACAA service area for a total of 11 classrooms.
Some features of the Head Start program include:
- A holistic approach to child development, emphasizing cognitive, social, emotional, and physical aspects.
- A developmentally appropriate curriculum designed to promote school readiness.
- A strong emphasis on early literacy.
- Volunteer opportunities for parents.
- Parent involvement in program implementation through Center Committees and Policy Council.
- Services for children with disabilities (at least 10% of enrollees have special needs).
- Medical, dental, developmental, and nutritional screening for all children.
- Nutritious meals and snacks.
- Adult education opportunities.
- Al’s Pals, a mental health enrichment curriculum, delivered in partnership with Children, Youth, and Family Services.
(434)295-3171 ex. 3006
Head Start Applications by County
Albemarle County (English / Spanish)
Charlottesville City (English / Spanish)
Fluvanna County (English / Spanish)
Louisa County (English / Spanish)
Nelson County (English / Spanish)
Head Start Frequently Asked Questions